When you think of travel, one of the things that pops into your mind is what you had to eat that you wish you could have again. Food is definitely one of the elements that makes a journey memorable, and sometimes just the hint of a special aroma brings you back to that place and time.
The good news is that green chile can travel back home with you easily in its frozen form. All our local markets sell it, and there are a variety of brands from which to choose, although you should believe the packaging when it is labeled “HOT.” Simply slide your frozen tub of green goodness into a Ziploc bag, slip it into your carry-on bag, and voila, it will be defrosted and ready to use when you arrive back home. Do make sure your chile is frozen, since once it liquifies, it will be confiscated by the TSA at check-in. As in all recipes, the better your ingredients, the better the results.
So, without further adieu, here’s how to make the Chilaquiles Alameda and Alameda Hashbrowns appear on your own table!
For 4 people, you will need the following:
- 1 cup of either prepared Pico de Gallo, Red or Green Chili Sauce
- 1 cup of Beef Chorizo
- 1 cup of Grated Cheese (Cheddar and Mozzarella)
- 4 Hand-Fulls of Tortilla Chips
- Cook the Chorizo in a pan over medium heat, add the sauce of your choice.
- When fully heated, add 4 handfuls of tortilla chips, break them after adding to the pan. Toss to mix, do not overcook, tortilla chips should be crispy.
- Heap onto individual plates topped with a cheese and a fried egg. Garnish with sliced avocado, diced onions, and a sprig of cilantro. Serve with a side of beans and sour cream.
Alameda Hash Browns
You will need the following:
- 5 cups fresh or frozen shredded potatoes
- 2 bunches of diced green onions
- 8 slices of diced bacon
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Mix all ingredients except the cheese
- Place in a 9×13 baking dish, top with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite chili sauce.